Monday, September 14, 2009

Tweaking the workboxes

I heard about this wonderful system by Sue Patrick called workboxes. http://www.workboxsystem.com/ The idea behind them is to let your children have a visual reference for how much work they need to accomplish in a day. I love parts of the system but as a whole it is not totally for us so I decided to tweak it to fit our needs. I went out to target and got the little wire rack for the plastic shoe boxes.



Instead of using all boxes on my shelf I am using magazine holders on the top shelf to hold the girls' larger things like books and folders that I don't want to squish into the boxes. The bottom three shelves hold 6 boxes total which will be used for things like science experiment kits, art and other such things. Instead of the little strips that most people are using for each child we are using a large pocket chart which will act as a schedule and to do list. in the middle strip of the pocket chart will be cards with the time of day on them and then the left side will be ODSD's to do cards and the right will be YDSD's.


The cards will be labeled with numbers or subjects which will correspond to the magazine holders and boxes for the day. Each girl will also have a folder with velcro dots on the inside for putting the completed box's tag on as they finish out their work.

This may end up tweaked more yet as we get into using it but for now this is how it will work. I'll try to update with pics once it is all completely set up!




0 comments:

Post a Comment