Wednesday, June 2, 2010

.... Every letter makes a sound......

The song that started it all from the ever glorious and masterful Talking Letter Factory. It's been a year now since the bog boy has learned his letter sounds almost overnight singing along with Tad and the gang. We made it about halfway through "The Ordinary Parent's Guide To Teaching Reading" before he hit a wall. Not that he hit an I don't get it wall but more of an I don't like this book kind of wall. Don't get me wrong OPGTR is an AWESOME book and I plan to use it again, it's just at some point it becomes not quite as fun as other methods. It made me step back and figure out how to attack the problem of him not liking the book but also still being ever so hungry to learn. What I have come up with after hours of exhaustive reading and searching on forums and the net is Mcruffy! I cannot say enough about this program. Now I didn't buy the whole SE K package as he already has a pretty good foundation in CVC words and all of the very basics but we did get the transition package for K. It has TONS and I mean TONS of fun to learn books, activities and more that make my big boy not ever want to stop! I think we have stumbled onto our perfect progression and combination here. He is also using All About Spelling which he is loving as well.

So the plan wil be to work through AAS1 and mcruffy for the rest of prek and then move onto AAS2 with the possibility of continuing onto Mcruffy 1st grade phonics for an even stronger foundation.

Now for the littles I think I will use the exact progression I accidentally followed with the big boy. In that we will start with OPGTR and talking letters factory then halfway or so switch over to AAS and Mcruffy. Although I am kind of thinking of just starting Mcruffy right along with OPGTR and at some point getting the full curriculum just for the fun and colorful factor that seems to really captivate the big boy!

1 comments:

Christina said...

Can you post some pics od the Mcruffy material? I just bought phonics pathways used and we are also doing a bit in OPGTR, but neither are overwhelming. Oh, I also just received Happy Phonics too, hoping to make the whole process more fun.

Post a Comment