Thursday, September 2, 2010

So as you saw in earlier posts, we did have our school stuff integrated into our greatroom which was getting slowly taken over. I think it was a combo of nesting and desire to have our own spot that caused me to all in one day at 8 months preggo to move everything upstairs and "make" a room out of part of the huge playroom. The initial move took me most of one day and then the finishing up and organizing took a few weeks. It is now DONE except for hanging up the laminated wall map that is due from amazon any time now. So I thought I would share some pics with you all!


So here is a view from in the school room out into the playroom




Here is our reading nook with the nifty big ikea leaf and the big beanbag from big lots (14.99!) On each wall I have a stick up velcro mounted LED tap light so they can read when it gets dark. The set of 2 lights cost me 4.99 at walmart.





Now from here we are in the far reaches of the playroom looking over towards the school room. You can see the train table and off to the left the media center. You can see the big blank space on the wall above the desks to the left of my blue cabinet from here. This is the spot where the big wall map will go once it gets here.






Here is a more close up look at the media center which consists of a flat panel monitor and on the other side of the wall/bookshelf the computer running it.




Now we are "in" the schoolroom. This is the right side by the window which is our art center. Here we have our Ikea easel that used to sit unused in our playroom, the art drawers (menioned and shown in an earlier post) We have lots more organization in here now to keep the art supplies more at hand and accessible! On top of the blue art drawers I have a rotating organizer bought at five below for $2. The rotating organizer holds elmers glue and my set of scrapbook fancy edge scissors (Michaels for $5 with a 40% off coupon)



Here is the craft cart which houses more craft supplies like foam sheets, mini trees, wax seals, pastels ect. The Ikea roll paper holder sits on top of here so we can unroll it onto the group table for art time.



This is the art supplies wall center. I got the two hanging drawer sets from a store called "five below" Each cost me 5 bucks and they work so well for holding little things like pom poms, feathers, pip squeak markers and foam stickers! The colorful cups are from Ikea and are called bygel rail and cups. Best part the bygel rail stuff is CHEAP! It cost me






This is the left wall of the schoolroom. We hung up some awesome track shelves with real pine wood rather then the more expensive and yuckier particle board.
You can also see the workboxes for all our games, our DVDs, our writing center, our file folder games ect. The magazine holders on the bottom right shelf hold our piano books :) We just got and started pianimals! We keep our big keyboard in the top of one of the closets in the boys room.




Our writing center. I got this on walmart.com and it is awesome for organizing all of our papers, journal books, handwriting books and other writing related stuff! On top you can see some of our LA related big games like the TAG reader spelling game. In the top right cubby are some awesome spiral bound journals I got for ten cents a piece online!



The file folder games in their hanging organizer



The writing center bygel cups for holding pens, reading timers and other goodies





What a desk area looks like (we have 3 one for each boy) Each kiddo has a virco desk, chair worbox cart and color coded crate, expanding file, pencil box, mini crate and index card box. The color coordination makes it much easier to organize things!





My "teacher" cabinet. I got this 3 years ago on same at kmart in the baby section and it was sitting unused for a few years until now. It is PERFECT for school! I keep all my hands off mom stuff in here. It even had a removable rod for hanging clothes that fits the art paper rolls from Ikea perfectly! On the inside of the door it has a cork board and a chalk board. I have a mini pocket chart ($1 at target) where I keep our general workbox tags out of the way. I also have a map of the schoolroom with a typed out list of everything in it for DH or my mom in case they need to take over or want to help out. On top lives are interactive globe, a math balance and our science kits. The drawers on the bottom have office supplies like paper clips, rubber bands, bulk pens ect.





The right front corner of the school room by the art center. You can see the stacking letter trays I have to organize our construction and art paper here. You can also get an idea of how I made the dividing wall. I used 4 bookcases and one drawer cart lined up then tensioned together with a baby gate. This made a wall so solid that DH can't even get it to wiggle.




This is the underneath of the big group table in the center of the room. You can see each of the mini file crates for each boy under there which holds the folders for the current 6 weeks. I keep the big file crates down in the office more out of the way. You can also see my piles of newly unbound books waiting for me to spiral punch and bind them.



So that is our new setup and let me tell you we are LOVING it! DS2 can play happily in the big playroom now while we work on school stuff or he can come in and do some art stuff :o) It makes it so much easier to get things done when everything is right there and fully organized so you can grab and go!

Thanks for looking!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very friendly and busy! Perfect for your childrens' ages. Thanks for sharing!

dulcimeramy from WTM forums

Pamela said...

I love your setup! I see some of it is from IKEA. My whole schoolroom is IKEA. I guess I need to take some pics and post them on my blog as well. Great job!

Cajunrose said...

Love it!!!

Leigh said...

Ooh! I dream of a space like that! It's awesome!

Post a Comment