Thursday, September 2, 2010

Our new chore system

We were in need of a new chore system so I did some looking and kept running into the same wall. All the ones I liked would cost a LOT to get for 5 kids! So I set out to make my own system based off of the parts of the other I liked. :o)

First I went to walmart and bought 6 unfinished wooden plaques (5 big and 1 small) I got one for the new baby and set it aside so he'd have the same as the other kids :op. I painted each one with a solid color then each kid's name on it. I then measured and drilled holes for the hooks and screwed them in. Finally I wrote, in a paint pen, the names of each hook spot. Then came the long part. I made tags with pictures in open office draw and printed them out on card stock. I then went through and added the colored strips with markers and cut each tag to the appropriate color for the time. Yellow is first thing in the morning before you come down for breakfast, red is morning right after breakfast, blue is after lunch, purple is after dinner and green means it can be done any time in the day. After I got them cut I laminated them and cut them out once again. The final step was to hole punch each card so it could be hung on the hooks. We also have our mini plaque which is the family chore card storage. it hold the "money cards", which can be turned in for real money at the end of the week and the blank chore card which we can write in dry erase marker some new extra chore that needs to be done. We have must do chores that are required to be done by each child with no compensation. These are things like cleaning your room,folding your clothes and hygiene sorts of things. We then have "extra" chores that are assigned and can be done in order to earn money, like pulling weeds or cleaning the bathroom. The older kiddos have more must do chores of course.



All of our chore plaques


Family chore plaque



A close up of one of the chore plaques

2 comments:

Tina said...

That looks pretty cool. I'm eager to see how it works...I might have to copy you if it turns out well...please keep us updated.

Jessica said...

What do the symbols stand for?

Post a Comment